Not running 100%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not running 100%

Not running 100%

Hey guys, I’ve searched as best I can and hope I’m not going over something that’s been covered before. So I bought a 98 tl1000r as a non runner, got it running after an hour of sorting wiring issues though... sweet! I’ve done the fuel mod and it had the air box mod already. The issues I have are... the fuel pump relay has a bridge wire between 2 wires for some reason, if I cut it I get a fault code and the pump doesn’t run so not sure what that’s about? The bike runs fine, static revs fine if you’re slow but if I wind it quick it won’t rev and misfires until I reduce the throttle and it revs again. Riding it won’t rev past half throttle in any gear. The TPS is showing on the top bar at any rpm even down less than 1k. Is it possible to have a faulty TPS without a fault code? And would that affect the revs? Sorry for the essay 🤪

Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    Not getting enough fuel or air flow. Once you go past half throttle the bike begins starving (sputtering). Not reving past a certain RPM is typically indicative of a fouled plug, which is itself a symptom of a problem and not the cause.

Given that you've admitted to having electrical issues with the pump wires, an in-line fuel filter, and modified air box, I would say you've narrowed down the trouble areas. Me personally, I'd focus on that bridge at the pump wires. I'm sure Tony can guide you on that one.

NOTE: TPS being slightly off won't cause your issue. My bar was at the top for months before I adjusted it and I never had any problems.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Ah ok, I wasn’t sure if the TPS would cause bad running. Maybe it could be a voltage issue for the fuel pump then? The pump looked in good condition when I took it out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Ok so I’ve done some more fiddling. I adjusted the TPS but I couldn’t get the rpm low enough on the idle stop, if I turn the TPS so the rpm is 1200 the bar is at the top, if I turn the TPS to the centre bar then the revs rise to 2k and I can’t get the idle lower. Static revs clean now but flames out the cans but still doesn’t respond past half throttle on a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    ... still doesn’t respond past half throttle on a ride.
    Like I said, if cracking the throttle is causing the bike to stutter and choke half way, then it's starving for fuel or air. Or it's getting too much. Honestly it could be one of a dozen different things. pull your plugs. They'll tell you what's going on.

Plus, you said you purchased the bike as a non-starter, so no telling what condition everything is in, or what has been done to it. Throttle bodies and or injectors could be gummed up from sitting, and previous owner may have screwed with factory settings.

And post some images... We're not psychics.
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Yeah I’ve ordered new plugs so I’ll check them next. Also ordered a new fuel pump just in case. Here’s a helpful tip... don’t rev the bike with the air filter off, damn near deafened myself! 🤣

I appreciate the input. I will get some pictures up soon. The previous owner definitely had a go at it and there’s loads of bits that was left loose, loads of wires have been cut and crimped. There’s 2 wires cut and not attached to anything under a black box that’s next to the fuse box on the right side of the bars.

Evil Twin
    Are you sure your fuel line is kinked?

I would have held off on buying a pump and pump seal (or anything for that matter) as it may not be your problem. Especially if you've got unused wires dangling about. Shotgun diagnostics can get expensive.

I figured a new pump wouldn’t hurt anyway, when I fitted the new external filter it didn’t seem to fill that fast with the pump running. The stock feed line was actually kinked which I found while fitting the new line. The wires missing shouldn’t be the running issue as the parts that make it run obviously work for it to run. Like you say it’s gotta be too much or too little fuel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links