Resurrection of (Bob) - Page 4
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Resurrection of (Bob)

Quote Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
    do still use the oil on the chain.

Is that the "old ball and chain" .......................... yer can't beat a good slicking down...........................
    Red, the ONLY Colour.....for a 1997 TLS.....
    (1) Sold the old girl now ....... she will be missed...

(2) UNO frame & swinger with 1040 Bimota (aka TLR) engine running 17x40 teeth, Hydraulic clutch conversion, Billet wndowed clutch cover & cut plate spinner, Dunlop tyres, PC3, TLS bodywork, GSXR750-TT forks with custom Wilbers springs etc, Nissin brake calipers all round, front ones radial, radial Nissin clutch & brake masters, GSXR1000 K5 clocks, PVM lightweight wheels, LED lights all round, Full Yoshi exhaust system, Carbon cans, Yoshi rearsets, K&N air filter, Wilbers custom rear shock, Custom paint job. Skidmarx bellypan, Low profile rear seat hump, MotoX bars, all round (literally) nice guy.

(3) Bog standard BMW R1150RT.

(4) Boxes of many parts waiting to be made into 2 more TLS's.

Workshop in Welham Green near Hatfield in Hertfordshire - TEKMOTIVE - 01707 265000 - www.tekmotive.co.uk.

Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    Decided to break out the HD borescope for shits and giggles

Front Piston
    Resurrection of (Bob)-img_0884.png

Rear Piston

Upper Radiator
    Resurrection of (Bob)-img_0887.png
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

That piston looks pretty coked up...

'97 TL1000S Streetfighter 'Evil Twin' - Full colour wiring diagrams - click here for UK TLS - click here for US TLS - click here for UK TLR - click here for US TLR

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CrashB View Post
    That piston looks pretty coked up...
    Yeah, it's pretty bad. Sadly the rear piston is toast. I've been at with the borescope for the past five hours trying to get a clean shot, but my scope can't focus on it. It tries. It zooms in and out, but I think the piston is actually deformed and the scope's software is unable to determine what it should focus on. I'll lay money down on those hacked pipes being the primary contributor.

Resurrection of (Bob)-img_0905.png

NOTE: So glad I decided to check the Pistons AFTER spending 10 hours chiseling petrified chain wax and detailing the engine

Resurrection of (Bob)-img_0907.jpg
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Wow. That rear actually looks like burnt toast!

did it run beforehand? What's the mileage on the motor like?

'97 TL1000S Streetfighter 'Evil Twin' - Full colour wiring diagrams - click here for UK TLS - click here for US TLS - click here for UK TLR - click here for US TLR

Any radiator shop should be able to clean out that radiator.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Jeff

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Stodgy ME

Questions about the Forums? Click Here

... did it run beforehand? What's the mileage on the motor like?
    Yes, he started it after unloading and drove it into the garage. In fact, it started up faster and smoother than any TL I've ever seen. Plus he didn't use the Fast Idle, because it doesn't have one! Lever is broke off. I'd didn't hear it idling, because I came out of the house just as he was pulling it into the garage, but yeah, it starts and moves under its own power.

I have no knowledge of the engine's original mileage, and the bike's history and condition make it difficult to approximate. According to the new owner, he traded a truck for it, and that owner in turn purchased it from an auction. It definitely shows signs of it being crashed at high speed. Aside from the telltale canister rash (R side only), I also cleaned enough dirt out from under the tank and behind the engine to plant a fig tree. This would certainly explain why the canisters and tail section were hacked up by someone with apparently zero mechanical ability (and common sense), and it most likely explains why it was auctioned off.

My working theory is that this bike was stolen by an idiot at some point (gut feeling), who personally hacks up the bike in an attempt to make it as fast as his hommie's stollen R1, then ends up low-sided it on a corner due to being unfamiliar with the TLRs ergonomics. The bike gets a ride to the impound where it is processed and eventually auctioned off to the highest bidder. Bob on the other hand, likely got a ride to the hospital, and afterwards he too was processed and eventually sent somewhere to be auctioned off the biggest bidder

This scenario, while highly plausible, sadly still leaves a lot of questions unanswered. For example, why wasn't the legitimate owner contacted, and if he was, why didn't he claim the bike? And who installed the (recently new) rear sprocket and and chain, and how did they know to get a 38 tooth sprocket to match the (old) 18 tooth drive sprocket? It's possible a mechanic checked before installing it, but not likely. An experienced mechanic who's professional enough to check gear ratios isn't likely to miss a rear a baring (which he removed) with no grease in it. Nor would they have left the blown push-rod and crankshaft seals (which have been leaking for a while) in place. Short answer... they wouldn't, which means one the bike's owners must have done it themselves.

So what kind of bike owner is smart enough to install taller sprockets and a chain, but stupid enough to leave two leaky seals, years worth of chain wax, and a dry bearing in place? Not too mention the Master Link on the chain, which was barely holding on one pin, and niether were pins were mushroomed to secure it. Idiot probably tried to install it using pliers. The rear tire was mounted crooked as well. Off by nearly two bars on one side. So who was this Darwinian protege you may be wondering.... I'm guessing it was Bob, the hypothetical bike theif and confirmed idiot savant. And thus, my theory finally comes full circle and the theory take shape!

Now it all starts to add up. Now each of the bike's issues begin to make sense! The idiotic half-assed modifications (failed shorty pipes, failed undertail conversion, K&N filter, taller gearing, etc.). It seems our (young) friend Bob was a bit of a speed demon who spent a fair amount of time beating this poor stollen TLR to death trying to keep up with the inline crowd. This not only explains the modifications, but the residual affects as well (bald tires, black oil, severely clogged filter, push-rod, countershaft, mechanical, clutch master piston, fork seals all blown, wax everywhere, fried pistons, etc..).

Even the DexCool is explained. It's advertised as making performance engines run up to 10 degrees cooler than standard coolant. And while researching this product heavily over the past week I came across more pro-DexCool idiots talking about "cooler engine = More Hp" than I count. I'm guessing Bob came across those posts as well.

NOTE: If any of you were actually patient enough to read all that gibberish and happened to notice a few contradictions and scattered thoughts here and there, it's because I was literally coming up with that theory as I wrote it (on a phone) so be gentle. Y'all know how fragile I am

Got the throttle body off. Got a bit more light into rear cylinder through the valves and managed a clearer image of the piston.

I've never dealt with cylinder and valve issues before, so my experience with these is issues are limited to research.

Resurrection of (Bob)-img_0939.png
    Resurrection of (Bob)-img_0931.png
    Resurrection of (Bob)-img_0929.png

Those valves look a bit toasty too

If this were mine, and in my workshop then I'd seriously consider rebuilding that motor. As it has an unknown mileage and isn't in the best condition I'd start again from scratch, replacing all bearings and gaskets whilst giving it a damn good clean. Sadly this option for a self builder would be around $500 just in parts, let alone the time cost to get a pro to do it.

Those valves look a bit toasty too

If this were mine, and in my workshop then I'd seriously consider rebuilding that motor. As it has an unknown mileage and isn't in the best condition I'd start again from scratch, replacing all bearings and gaskets whilst giving it a damn good clean. Sadly this option for a self builder would be around $500 just in parts, let alone the time cost to get a pro to do it.
    Crash,

The correct answer is buy a motor and put it in... then sell / rebuild that one!
    ... listen to Six5 ...

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links