TLZone Forums banner

Rear brake reservoir tube -- how to?

11K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Sam 
#1 ·
I want to replace my rear brake m/c reservoir with a short length of clear plastic/rubber tube and cap the end... just like on MotoGP bikes. (My TLR is now my racebike.)

I know how to attach the tube to the m/c fitting... but what I need to know is the following:

1. What is a good length for the tube?

2. How do I cap the end of the tube?
Rubber plug?
Does it need a vent hole?
Details would be appreciated... or if a kit is available from someplace that would be okay too.

#4 ·
If you want to do it correct, it needs a membrane just like the stock cap such that the fluid can expand/retract. Honestly not worth the hassle. If you leave that rear brake on, it has to work, even if it is only to put the bike on the side if ever the front brake doesn't work.

What do you save? 25g?
--> Take a 15cc Brembo reservoir. Weights almost nothing, but works.

Greetings
Rufer

#7 ·
If you want to do it correct, it needs a membrane just like the stock cap such that the fluid can expand/retract. Honestly not worth the hassle. If you leave that rear brake on, it has to work, even if it is only to put the bike on the side if ever the front brake doesn't work.

What do you save? 25g?
--> Take a 15cc Brembo reservoir. Weights almost nothing, but works.

Greetings
Rufer

:stupid

#5 ·
make sure if you buy tubing it's able to withstand brake fluid.

#10 ·
You can use a cap in the tube with a pin prick hole in it, no vacuum then.

Yes over a period of time the fluid in the tube absorbs the moisture, but it takes a long time for that fluid to work it's way through the master cylinder into the brake line, and at the end of the day the rear brake is rarely used and a little spongyness is not a problem. If anything it's helps prevent locking the rear wheel in a butt cheek clenching scenario :laugh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.