TLZone Forums banner

gsxr 1000 k5-k6 forks fitted

6K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Gorfinder 
#1 ·
Finally got the gsxr 1000 k5-k6 forks fitted :)

The difference was amazing, made me realise how shite my oem's had got! Biggest difference though was the brakes, they nearly had my eyes popping out!

Big thanks to Sam for forks / kit & calipers, and huge thanks to GhostMAFIA for helping me out in getting a hayabusa spindle.

See less See more
#2 ·
They look well mate, nice R.

#4 ·
Looking good mate.
Good brakes are confidence inspiring aren't they?

#6 ·
Looks good :thumbup

#7 ·
hows the rebound damping on your forks, is it working? i had 2 sets of those forks and rebound damping was shite... also read on gixxer riders forums i think, that oem valving for those models was really poor ;/ was wondering if thats the same with yours :O

#8 ·
Hi Ged

Either you were unlucky with the two sets you had or i'm lucky with the set i've got. On my initial test ride out yesterday after fitting i went down a road that used to upset the handling something terrible, but with the gsxr forks fitted it handled like a dream, for a moment i thought the council had re-surfaced the road! bear in mind though that my old forks would react when they felt like it, and not when they should have, sometimes i think i would have been better off with a couple of scaffold poles :laugh Seriously though i can't fault them and reckon it's the best upgrade i've done, even more so than the ohlins shock i fitted last year.

#9 ·
good to hear yours are okay :)

#16 ·
Putting my k6 forks and brakes on at the moment, and carrozzerrias. What are the 2 rectangular flat plates in Sams kit for? :confused. Thanks guys.

#17 ·
if they are .5mm thick you roll them around the fork leg and they are shims

I use a hose clamp to hold them tight and a wedge in the triples to make them easier to install.

Ease them in a bit at a time moving the clamp a bit as you go so they are supported.

#18 ·
As Stu said, form them around the top of the fork into a cylinder shape paying attention to the last 10mm of so of the ends.

I find it easier to fit into the lower triple first then slide the fork through. Line up the gap of the shim with the gap in the triple :thumbup

#20 ·
Depends on the calipers, the GSXR1000 K3 had 4 pad calipers, all the other variations are 2 pad design

Cross match for the 4 pad calipers is :-

ZX-6RR (ZX600) K1/M1/N1/N6F 03-06
ZX-6R (ZX636) B1/B2/C1/C6F 03-06
ZX-10R (ZX1000) C1/C2/D6F/D7F 04-07
ZX-12R (ZX1200) B3/B4/B6F 04-06
VN 1600 B2H/B6F/B7F (Mean Streak) 05-08

Cross reference with EBC: FA369/4HH
Gold Fren FA369HH

#21 ·
Thanks Stu and Sam, that has saved me major drama, much appreciated.:thumbup:thumbup Back out into the garage shortly.

#24 ·
Take the TL of the road? But then you'll miss this wonderful summer we are having..... :rotfl

#26 ·
Ok, I ordered some dual Venhill front lines for a gsxr k6, but they seem a bit short. Should I have ordered line length for a TLR, banjos for a K6? Thanks.

#27 ·
yes. if thread is different on K6 you should order banjos for TL aswell

#29 ·
Are you using race or over the top lines Tim and if race what lengths did you need? Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.