SOAS spring raplacements
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOAS spring raplacements

Baby Twin

SOAS spring raplacements

All,

I'm a new and very keen TLS owner (pictures to follow) and am a fat boy at 18stone. I'm going to do a Hayabusa fork conversion, and already have an Ohlins damper at the back but want to get a much heavier spring. Maxton supply (a rather expensive one) but are there any other options? Any advice on fitting a raplacement spring gratefully received!!

Cheers

Luke

Superbike Twin
    max spring rate you can physically fit in the SOAS location is 1000 lbs/in, im 100kg and even then the heaviest (980 lbs/in) spring maxton supply is not enough. So i suggest a TLR swingarm conversion with a centre mounted shock with a 23.0kg/mm spring mounted. you'll need 1.1 kg/mm fork springs and a suitable re work of the standard busa valving to make the forks work their best for you as well.

I am currently developing a new linkage/shock unit for the TLS but i am 2 months away from finishing that unfortunately.

TLOTM Aug 08 TLOTM Aug 09 TLOTY 2009 TLOTM Sept 10 TLOTM July 12
    SAMs 1080cc(143,7rwHP),AKRAPOVIC EVO1,PC3+custom map,ÖHLINS,ISR-Brakes,carbon....more carbon,UNO #12

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Baby Twin
    Thanks for this,

The TLR swingarm conversion is a bit ambitious for me at present, but I'll fit the strongest spring I can get in there. I have thought about a GSXR Swingarm conversion actually as one is available. Why centre mounted shock BTW?

Cheers

Luke

Baby Twin
    Did you mean 23kg/mm (as in your post) or 2.3 kg/mm? The former seems far too stiff even for a big lump like me!!

I'm probably going to get a custom spring made but do you know the dimensions of the SOAS spring (ID/OD/Free length)?

There seem to be a number of automotive spring companies over here in the UK and the cost is surprisingly modest.

Baby Twin
    Thanks for this. I saw these but they are far too expensive TBH.

I can get a custom wound spring at 1400lbs for about £32 for a motorbike in the UK.

Cheers

Luke

I am a fat bastard - more than you and I use the standard spring on a stick with the pre-load wound up some what. I also have an Ohlins in the back end and 2003 GSXR forks, again with the pre-load wound on.

I don't do track days or such but somewhat "spirited" riding on the roads of the UK and the continent.
    Red, the ONLY Colour.....1997 TLS.....
    'Gixxer Gold on Black Radial forks, Aftermarket Gixxer front mudguard - in red, Gold 4 pad Radial Toks, braided steel lines all round, Gold Nissin 19mm radial front brake master cylinder,
    Gold Nissin 19mm radial clutch master cylinder with Full Hydraulic clutch, Dunlop qualifiers, Baglux in red, Full Yoshi S/S race system & RS3 Gold Titanium oval cans, HID headlights, PC11, Custom map, K&N filter, Ohlins rear - pure gold, +2 rear sprocket, Metmachex swingarm, Cut back black double bubble screen &MotoX bars in gold, waterproof digital clock, R&G Crash bungs, Clear rear lens, LED Tail light with integrated turn signals, Colour match Undertray and Hugger, billet window clutch cover & plate spinner, gold Titax shorty levers, gold rearsets, Skidmarx bellypan, Low profile rear seat hump..all round (literally) nice guy.

currently building up a TLR engined UNO frame and swingarm with TLS body - totally custom paint and parts..........

Baby Twin
    Now that is useful Ted...;-)

Baby Twin
    Ted - can you tell me something about your hydraulic clutch job? I've looked on eBay and there don't seem to be any TLR clutch bits for love nor money!!! Will other Suzuki bits work?

Cheers

Luke

Heres the slave cylinder (ebay)

Heres the master cylinder (ebay)

Heres the hose (ebay)

and there are pushrods available too... also available on ebay but I seem to be doing all the work for you... they also all seem to be available in exchange for money, but I don't think love is an accepted form of payment

'97 TL1000S Streetfighter 'Evil Twin' - click here for full colour UK TLS wiring diagram - click here for full colour US TLS wiring diagram - full colour TLR wiring diagrams coming soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links