Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marchesini Rims. How to tell if......

o2w

Marchesini Rims. How to tell if......

Heres the scoop.

A while ago, I bought a pair of Marchesini rims intending to mount them to the TLR. Following so far...good.

What I wanted to know is.

How can you tell if they are Aluminium or Magnesium? Is it weight alone or is magnesium magnetic? I know aluminium isn't, but so far, none of my magnets have proved definative.

Also I have noticed that my rear cush drive is different to what is pictured on marchesini's website. My cush drive has round bushes, most of the other marchi's I have seen seem to have lobe type bushes. make sense?

These rims came from Kawasaki's WSB team, so I'm presuming they are good, but how good?

Anyone......?
    A WARNING to everyone

hit it with a blowtorch to see if it catches fire

depends on the alloy ingredients for magnetism, the tl cylinder head covers are slightly magnetic.

easiest way to tell is at the hubs. The magnesium wheels are more of a straw color. In places where they've been scratched the metal will be dark. Aluminum will always look like aluminum. As far as I know Marchesini never bothered coating the wheels. I know that there's a date stamp on the Magnesium ones too.

o2w
    Thanks Gixxstar

That confirms it....I bought a pair of Magnesium Marchesini's for $600AUS. SCORE!!!
    I guess the only downside is that the front is a 10 spoke and the rear is a 5 spoke.

who's a happy boy then......

BTW. My cush drive is the same as yours gixxstar. Is it an old pattern?
    A WARNING to everyone

I'm still trying to figure out what size rotors go on my marchesini rims!!! AAAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!
    A Lurker Once Again...

o2w
    Quote Originally Posted by TL Lurker
    I'm still trying to figure out what size rotors go on my marchesini rims!!! AAAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!
    Do you need the hole spacing dimensions?
    I've got a set of 305mm Cast Iron Brembo Rotors that came with these rims (forgot to mention that didn't I ).
    Not sure whether to run it as is with stock TLR calipers (which should run 320mm disks), or to change front forks with a Duc.
    A WARNING to everyone

Baby Twin
    why would there be a date stamp in them and where would i find it on the rim?

Quote Originally Posted by wtl1000r
    why would there be a date stamp in them and where would i find it on the rim?

It's usually on the hub and the reason that I've been told is they are only intended to be used for a few years before you toss them but who does that?

Quote Originally Posted by o2w
    Thanks Gixxstar

That confirms it....I bought a pair of Magnesium Marchesini's for $600AUS. SCORE!!!
    I guess the only downside is that the front is a 10 spoke and the rear is a 5 spoke.

who's a happy boy then......

BTW. My cush drive is the same as yours gixxstar. Is it an old pattern?

That is a good deal. I have old wheels from a big AMA team as well. They didn't turn out to be off the shelf stuff at all and I had to get some help from one of their mechanics to acquire the right parts and it still took some machining on my end for wheel spacers but it all worked out well. There are two different hub types and neither of them were the same as the standard Marchesini magnesiums that I've seen. Still trying to figure out where I'll be getting these weird offset sprockets. My favorite part has always been the rear rotor.

o2w
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxstar
    Still trying to figure out where I'll be getting these weird offset sprockets.
    I think AFAM sprockets should work. That's what I have on my carrier and mine "looks" the same as yours.

BTW. Who makes the rotor you are using?
    A WARNING to everyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast