Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hammer Mechanic Meets Harbor Freight Trailer!

Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen

The Hammer Mechanic Meets Harbor Freight Trailer!

Here are a few photos documenting my experience putting together a Harbor Freight folding 4X8 trailer. The cost was $290 shipped to my door, plus about 12 hours of assembly. I worked pretty casually and elected to paint the deck and stakes, which added more time. Anyway, on to the pics!

The trailer came in two boxes. This one held the wheels, fenders and electrical. They were easily unloaded from the truck, the larger box containing the frame probably weighed around 160 pounds.

Everything laid out on the floor waiting for assembly.

Better shot of the frame rails.

That is a whole lotta nylox nuts. They actually are SAE - 11/16" nuts and 5/8 bolt heads. They presented the most difficult aspect of assembly - no finger tightening a nylox nut. On the other hand, it won't come off either

Electrical stuff. Pretty straightforward. The clips supplied are cheesy. I used zip ties. One neat trick I employed was to simply tuck the zip tie "tails" under the deck to hold the wires and keep them nice and neat. You have to keep in mind that extra wire slack is needed near the folding tongue and mid sections. A bit of careful trial and error and I got the routing and slack dialed in.

The certificate of origin and fairly decent instructions. The cops gave me a puzzled look when I took it in to have the VIN number certified for title, saying I needed a "VIN certification tech" (whatever the hell that is) to do it. I went down the street and paid the emissions shop $9 to do it. Whatever. As you can see, it is quite obviously from China. The form at the DMV did no have enough spaces to put all the characters in

Frame fully assembled, folded, and ready to have the axle put on.

A shot of it with the stakes and bed on. I don't need the stakes for hauling the dirt bike.

Shot of the dirt bike mounting system.

Done deal, stood up and folded, strapped to the wall.

I used it to haul my DRZ to the riding area today. It towed great and no issues cruising at 70 mph. I checked the hubs when I got there and they were fine - just warm to the touch. I stuffed them full of Valvoline red heavy duty bearing grease.

Ah. After selling my truck, it is good to have carrying capacity again It was some work to put together, more than I thought it would be to be honest, but worth it. The price was right.
    I would feel awkward riding a Harley. The honky-tonk parking lot butt sniffing checking out each other's chrome encrusted doodads and then riding home half in the bag social scene they engender is not what my idea of riding motorcycles is about.

Mad-Modder, KTM Junkie
    So did you get to hammer anything? Good job sir!
    Be Good, Wear Gear, Do Wheelies,

Doug "OldTLSDoug" Basinger
    2010 KTM RC8R Akropovic Limited Edition 23 of 25
    2008 KTM Super Duke 990
    1982 Honda Z50R
    1978 Yamaha SR500E
    G-Town Squid Squad, Feb. 04 TLOTM

I've had my eye on the exact same trailer, I'm glad you took the time to decribe the project of getting it rolling. I may just drive to Albany Ny and pick it up as that's the closest Harbor Frieght to me. Although gas prices just may have me spending the $$ on shipping......What did you use for decking? I noticed the payload is greater for the 12" wheel package, so what did they get that model? i'm curious as the catalog won't say how much shipping costs.

I figured getting one of these and a hitch for my wife's SUV is cheaper than me buying a pickup truck. Aside from bike hauling, it'll com in handy for trips to the home improvement stores..
    "If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now" National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...lah/tlp021.jpg

I used 3/4" exterior A/C plywood for the deck. It came with 12" wheels and the cost was $240 for the trailer (no tax) and $50 for shipping. It took about 7 business days to arrive.

I did do one "mod" to the trailer. The loops bolted to the front for bike tie downs required drilling out the existing holes a bit. I staggered the mounting points for the front wheel shoes, it can comfortably carry 2 dirt bikes. The loops work perfectly as mounting points for tie downs.
    I would feel awkward riding a Harley. The honky-tonk parking lot butt sniffing checking out each other's chrome encrusted doodads and then riding home half in the bag social scene they engender is not what my idea of riding motorcycles is about.

yes good lil trailer... now if i can just download my piturs and show off my abombination of a trailer for my wife and I.
    Scorpio SE-i500 system,TLR MOTOR, pc2,yosh full system w/titanium cans , k+N filter, UFO tail light kit-sweet! Corbin seat,Heli Bars, Throttle miester, six pot tlr caliper system, dble bubble screen,Galfer ss brake lines front&rear,tl tank protector,Bitubo rear shock-thanks Origin8tor!,clear clutch cover, CRG Levers,clear tailight lens-new paint, front end reworked by Aftershocks, fresh Powdercoated rims and front Wave rotors via TODD at Cal sportbike,as well as a SPEEDO HEALER from him,,fan mod-thanks et79,gpi gear indicator w/ATRE-thanks again cal sportbike. Vesrah front brake pads... nice improvment. MY CUSTOM R/R WIRING HARNESS TO GET CHARGING SYSTEM UP TO PAR! check frequent mod section out!!

Cool stuff
    Josh

TL Zone Forum Staff - Resident RAIN RIDER

Questions about The Forums? Click Here

1997 TL1000S/V
    - TLR Akro Evo Ti Exhaust - PCII - 5.5" rear rim & 180/55 - Avon AV45/46ST tires - No Steering damper- Uni Filter -Relocated Temp sensor & 98+ t-stat housing/wp cover - TLRCrazy1 Fan Switch Mod - Dual Star heated Grips - HeliBars - 60k miles.

9k mile summer ride report [summer '08]

Ride report: Oshkosh, Rockies, UT, NV, CA, Bajal [summer '09]

Nice job! I've got somewhere between 3 and 4 thousand miles on my HF trailer now and it's doing great.

Do you guys back it up to a curb to get the bikes on? a ramp?
    "If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now" National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Nice mods to your trailer Wingspan. I see nylon skateboard type wheels for the stock casters, and the spare tire mod

I would like to see a detail photo of your Sport Chock setup. I have the same thing and will use it when I transport the TLS on my trailer.

Thanks

Tillah, I use a cool folding aluminum ramp to load the bikes.

I have a steep slope on my front lawn so we'd back up my truck and it was perfect. however where ever you went you'd need a similar slope. ramp is key.

I would think that spare tire is worth it's weight in gold......I see lots of trailer broken down with the little use they get and people neglecting them. At least these can be stored in the garage so it's out of the elements and within view for maintainance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast