Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hammer Mechanic Meets Harbor Freight Trailer!

Quote Originally Posted by Duken4evr
    Nice mods to your trailer Wingspan. I see nylon skateboard type wheels for the stock casters, and the spare tire mod

I would like to see a detail photo of your Sport Chock setup. I have the same thing and will use it when I transport the TLS on my trailer.

Thanks

Tillah, I use a cool folding aluminum ramp to load the bikes.
    Nothing fancy for the sportchock mount, just a few nuts and bolts. I have the bolts coming up through the trailer floor from underneath with washers and nuts holding them in place permanantly. The sportchock drops over the bolts and is secured with another set of washers and nuts. It takes all of 30 seconds to install or remove the chock and cost a lot less than the mounting kit they sell for the chock.

I wasn't impressed with the stock casters, so replaced them with a set from an old mechanics creeper. Along with the spare, I've also got a tounge jack from HF that I picked up for about $20. It's worth it's weight in gold. For Tie downs I use forged eyelets and a tie down rail that I got from Flyinbrian at Valco Cincinnati. I have another length of the tie down rail to install, but I haven't decided yet on it's exact location.

One more pic:

FWIW, these pics were taken in Florida. According to my GPS, on that trip I averaged 70mph for 12 hours each way (only one 15 minute stop for gas each way) and the hubs only barely got above ambient temp.

TILLAH: I use a set of steel ramps I also got from HF for ~$40. The trailer bed tilts, but after trying that once I decided not to do it again.

the blown vmax guy used the folding hf trailer, also with good results.

hf, the love - hate relationship...

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Doctor of Drag
    Questions about the Forums? Click Here

my abortion in process.....

It STARTED as a basic trailer.. the idea was to keep it SIMPLE.. oh yeah right. That flew out the window in about 10 seconds. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...r/PICT0019.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...r/PICT0017.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...r/PICT0012.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...r/PICT0001.jpg

Ha, and the best part.... the darn thing dont fold anylonger Gee wonder why
    The other addition is the wheel weights... i took the tires and had them balanced as well. wowo, were they way out!
    Scorpio SE-i500 system,TLR MOTOR, pc2,yosh full system w/titanium cans , k+N filter, UFO tail light kit-sweet! Corbin seat,Heli Bars, Throttle miester, six pot tlr caliper system, dble bubble screen,Galfer ss brake lines front&rear,tl tank protector,Bitubo rear shock-thanks Origin8tor!,clear clutch cover, CRG Levers,clear tailight lens-new paint, front end reworked by Aftershocks, fresh Powdercoated rims and front Wave rotors via TODD at Cal sportbike,as well as a SPEEDO HEALER from him,,fan mod-thanks et79,gpi gear indicator w/ATRE-thanks again cal sportbike. Vesrah front brake pads... nice improvment. MY CUSTOM R/R WIRING HARNESS TO GET CHARGING SYSTEM UP TO PAR! check frequent mod section out!!

Zippy: do you have a pic of it from the back with both bikes on it? I am wanting to do something like that as well as I would have two to tow.

$240!!!

I need me one of those!!!
    If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Show Mods: HammerIt TLR/R Plastics * Paintjob * Powdercoated Frame and Subframe * Polished Rims * Gap Mod * Mirrors incl. Turn Signals * Vortex Top Triple Clamp * UFO LED Tail Light * Clear Alternatives Tail Light Lens * Powerbronze DB Screen * Gold Rear Caliper * Akro CF Exhaust Hangers * Billet Rear Brake Reservoir
    Go Mods: Joe V * K&N Air Filter * Full M4 SS Exhaust System * Bitubo Rear Damper * Bitubo CF Steering Damper * '03 Gixxer 1K Front Forks with Radial Calipers * PCII * Galfer Braided Lines All Around * Galfer Sintered HH Brakepads * JSD Switchable TRE * SMI Billet Rearsets with Woodcraft Pegs

Quote Originally Posted by Schussboelie

$240!!!

I need me one of those!!!
    It's even better for those with a HF store near by. Mine was only $199.

BTW, I've also carried two bikes on mine and used a similar tie down bar as shown in zippytls' pics.

Sorry, I don't have any good pics of the trailer with two bikes on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan
    I wasn't impressed with the stock casters, so replaced them with a set from an old mechanics creeper. Along with the spare, I've also got a tounge jack from HF that I picked up for about $20.
    What are casters?

Is the tongue jack a thingie that supports the trailer to keep it kinda level when not hooked up to the car?

Show Mods: HammerIt TLR/R Plastics * Paintjob * Powdercoated Frame and Subframe * Polished Rims * Gap Mod * Mirrors incl. Turn Signals * Vortex Top Triple Clamp * UFO LED Tail Light * Clear Alternatives Tail Light Lens * Powerbronze DB Screen * Gold Rear Caliper * Akro CF Exhaust Hangers * Billet Rear Brake Reservoir
    Go Mods: Joe V * K&N Air Filter * Full M4 SS Exhaust System * Bitubo Rear Damper * Bitubo CF Steering Damper * '03 Gixxer 1K Front Forks with Radial Calipers * PCII * Galfer Braided Lines All Around * Galfer Sintered HH Brakepads * JSD Switchable TRE * SMI Billet Rearsets with Woodcraft Pegs

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan
    It's even better for those with a HF store near by. Mine was only $199.
    Fat chance

Just contacted them

rear pic

Here ya go fast rider77

If i were to do it over... for hauling TWO bikes... i would not cut the plywood in half. I'd just bolt it as a whole for better structurall rigitdity. and I think i would skip the D.P. I tell ya.. that damn stuff is like a MIRROR in the sun. wholly crap! I am really pleased with the strapless transport stand i have and the Condor-lift front holder is awesome as well. It amazed me how well it held my wifes sv in place. The best part is it keeps the bike upright so you can put your tiedowns on by yourself. The strapless jobbie is a definetly a two person job.. I think i will upgrade the lights to LED in the rear.... there awefully dim in full sunshine... and that is when i will be hauling most of the time. Slowly but surely.

Word to the wise.... dont tighten all your bolts untill you have EVERYTHING on. At least i found that i had to loosen MOST of the darn bolts to get the flooring on and to get the axle assembly to line up. I was rippn my hair out on that one. pissed me right off. I think the onlly bolts you could make tight would be the ones holding the fenders on.. since no other body part connects to them, that and the light holders. Other than that. It's a great lil trailer.

Yes a trailer jack is what holds the tounge while the trailer is not connected to the rig. However. with how light it is. If you stood on the back of the trailer witha jack on the front. you would find yourself in a wheelie. Dont waste the time or moeny on one. It's a light trailer. To do ANY loading, I always have it connected to lil pick up.

My only dissappointment was from the trailer tounge itself. I did not realize that with my bumper mounted trailer ball the turning radius is very narrow. Now, Northerntool sells the almost identicall unit, but the tounge is a long single rail.... I would have bought that one instead to keep me from installing a 2in box reciever hitch set up. although it gave me a reason to have a real hitch... it just added expense and time to my project.
    Scorpio SE-i500 system,TLR MOTOR, pc2,yosh full system w/titanium cans , k+N filter, UFO tail light kit-sweet! Corbin seat,Heli Bars, Throttle miester, six pot tlr caliper system, dble bubble screen,Galfer ss brake lines front&rear,tl tank protector,Bitubo rear shock-thanks Origin8tor!,clear clutch cover, CRG Levers,clear tailight lens-new paint, front end reworked by Aftershocks, fresh Powdercoated rims and front Wave rotors via TODD at Cal sportbike,as well as a SPEEDO HEALER from him,,fan mod-thanks et79,gpi gear indicator w/ATRE-thanks again cal sportbike. Vesrah front brake pads... nice improvment. MY CUSTOM R/R WIRING HARNESS TO GET CHARGING SYSTEM UP TO PAR! check frequent mod section out!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast