Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flat black and clear coat

Question flat black and clear coat

hey if i paint my bike with flat black and then put a layer or two of clear coat will that make it a gloss black. do i even need a clear coat to protect the flat black. or if no c/c how many of layer do i need of flat black i was thinking 4
    $Beefcake$

whoever said progress was a slow process wasnt talking about "ME"

- 50 Cent

Rupes
    If you're using automotive 2-pack then you spray whatever colour base coat ie black and then use a flat clear over the top. If you're using this type of paint it has to have some kind of clear coat on it whether it be flat or gloss or somewhere in between.

see if you can get flat clear coat as previously stated. the paint will hold up better.
    Ken
    2003 TL1000R Track Bike#489
    2006 Triumph D675 track bike #489
    1998 Valkyrie for long rides

www.redflagfund.org

what is "this type of paint". i am probaly gong to rattle can it flat black. any body recommend a good clear coat that wont make it gloss.
    $Beefcake$

- 50 Cent

I have never seen a flat clear in rattle can. One thing about a two stage flat paint job is that even with a flat black and a flat clear over it if you ever have scratches you cant buff them out because it will just make it look like gloss. Even with a flat clear the paint still stains easy from bird crap grease and the like.

AngryWasp
    I've seen clear that was Satin finish i.e. flat. Pretty sure they have it at walmart.

Dupont makes a flat or satin finsih clear coat. It is not a rattle can though it is real deal paint that you spray with a paint gun. And from what the rep was telling me you can wet sand a buff the satin clear and it wont polish to a high gloss because of the paint chemical mixture. It cost more than your rattle can job but this way is professional looking and with how you mix the clear you get a better consistancy on the finish. Maybe something to look into depending on your tastes and budget.

They make satin finish clear coat. But that's rattle can and takes a lot of work to get a decent finish. Lots and lots of coats, just heavy enough to lay out, but not too heavy as to cause runs.

If you opt for no clear, you can just use the flat black that comes in a rattle can. It works great, but leaves a very pourous finish. It will not cause water to bead up like a regular paint job and will have a grainy appearance to it. Looks good from a distance, but up close it's less than desireable.

If you truly want the flat look, go base coat clear coat. Any base will work, it's the clear that gives the appearance. I used PPG's DCU 2060 flexed 'n flat clear coat. It's super easy to mix up (1:1:6 or something close to that) and it lays out very nice. The only problem. You cannot rub or sand the clear. The agents that cause the "flat" appearance are retained very close to the surface. If you rub/sand into this area, it will remove the flattening agents and the appearance will start to go glossy. Where my coat hits my tank it has a slight shine to it. Water beads up on the paint just like a regular paint job. It can be washed and cleans up well. Glossy stickers really look neat when applied over this type of clear. I just did this yesterday and it really stands out in a subtle way.

I've tried it all from flat black rattle cans to flat black with a satin clear rattle can to a base coat clear coat set up. The latter being the best. The clear is expensive, not Mystiq expensive, but it's no generic clear that comes in a 50 gallon drum. I'll post some pics later if you really want to see what it looks like.

i do

i do want to see it and if u can show pics of what the paint looks like

Quote Originally Posted by yeller_twin
    They make satin finish clear coat. But that's rattle can and takes a lot of work to get a decent finish. Lots and lots of coats, just heavy enough to lay out, but not too heavy as to cause runs.

If you opt for no clear, you can just use the flat black that comes in a rattle can. It works great, but leaves a very pourous finish. It will not cause water to bead up like a regular paint job and will have a grainy appearance to it. Looks good from a distance, but up close it's less than desireable.

If you truly want the flat look, go base coat clear coat. Any base will work, it's the clear that gives the appearance. I used PPG's DCU 2060 flexed 'n flat clear coat. It's super easy to mix up (1:1:6 or something close to that) and it lays out very nice. The only problem. You cannot rub or sand the clear. The agents that cause the "flat" appearance are retained very close to the surface. If you rub/sand into this area, it will remove the flattening agents and the appearance will start to go glossy. Where my coat hits my tank it has a slight shine to it. Water beads up on the paint just like a regular paint job. It can be washed and cleans up well. Glossy stickers really look neat when applied over this type of clear. I just did this yesterday and it really stands out in a subtle way.

I've tried it all from flat black rattle cans to flat black with a satin clear rattle can to a base coat clear coat set up. The latter being the best. The clear is expensive, not Mystiq expensive, but it's no generic clear that comes in a 50 gallon drum. I'll post some pics later if you really want to see what it looks like.
    $Beefcake$

- 50 Cent

Mine Is Satin Black straight out the can. Its great , nice and even, no shine.
    And if something happens like a chip or scratch and you just hit it real quick with the can again. you cant even tell where the paint meets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast