TLZone Forums banner

Cork fuel pump gasket?

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  moburki 
G
#1 ·
I recall a leaky tank thread not long ago, someone posted using a cork gasket as a solution. I would like to look into this, my tank will not stop leaking. I've spent enough time dicking with the stock setup (and yes, I have done it right!).
thanks in advance
mo

#2 ·
I deal with this problem on aircraft (replaced gaskets do not seal) quite a bit. One item that is often overlooked is cleaning the two surface before putting them together. The other is not tighting the halves together in the proper sequence and to the proper torque spec. I am assuming you did the latter -per the manual, but next time you take it apart to replace with a cork gasket (should work just fine IMO)- run your finger over both surfaces and see if you can feel for little bits of shit (dirt etc) and take a good look at the gasket - you should see where the gasket was not sealing.

G
#3 ·
Thanks Pull2. I was very meticulous doing the seal job, and was able to find where the fuel was coming out. It seemed to me that the the seapage was simply from a lack of bearing pressure between the two surfaces. Maybe I have a little warpage around the sealing area. I wanted to try a more compliant material that might deal with a slight misfit. I can't seem to remember the name of the rubber that is fuel resistant that I have used for other applications, but I may look for that as well. Just cork gasket material from my local auto part store will do?

#4 ·
Be careful with your experimentation. I researched the material end of it with a Parker Seal manual and came up with Nitrile rubber(I think this was the material, it's been about 1.5yrs ago). Then went to a gasket manufacturer and bought 1 square ft for about $30. I then printed out an autocad drawing of the seal and laid it over the rubber and cut with an xacto. The gasket looked beautiful. I installed the gasket and filled the tank. It held great. Next morning it was gushing like there was no seal. Turned out the material expanded by 40%. When I contacted the manufacturer they swore I chose the right material for gasoline and that they had indeed given the right material. They could not give me any specs though, since the raw material came from china. Needless to say the flange was almost ruined. Dow Corning 730 to the rescue. Cork may work if it isn't warped that badly. It looked to me like it was too hard and wouldn't be compliant enough. I also couldn't find anything thick enough.

Sorry for the rant. If you want more info I'll try and dig it up....

G
#5 ·
Yeah, I think I used nitrile rubber for a custom race car fuel tank (could not remember what variety it was, thanks). I had a few different thicknesses, and there is probably some still around at my old job. But it sealed great to a honda automotive internal fuel pump, no leaks in a mandatory tilt test (no sealant needed). Dow corning 730 seems like a good option, don't know that I know what it is, though. I think I would like to try to seal with a rubber gasket if possible, unless I can find some some of that 730 and use the stock gasket.(already tried permatex #2). Yeah, any more info would be great!
Thanks
Mo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.