TLZone Forums banner

TLS Suspension

881 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  turbopresh 
#1 ·
Alright guys.. I have a 97 TLS.. just wanting to get some recommendations for suspension set up. I do alot of fast road riding so I like to set up just on the hard side of soft.. rear sag is set to about 20mm which is roughly roundabouts where I want it.. front I am struggling to get more than 10mm. I am assuming this is because of one of a few reasons.. the spring rate is too high for my weight (approx. 9.5 stone), rider centre of gravity is heavily shifted to the rear of the bike and the steering angle means the weight isn't being transferred effectively to the forks..

So my question I suppose is what spring rate fork springs should I be aiming for? 10mm rider sag I know is not enough but I seem to be utilising most of the fork travel when riding..

In terms of handling at the moment.. I have made some tweaks, change out the rotary damper etc.. and have her pretty close to where I feel comfortable.. the front end still feels a bit flighty and the bike becomes unsettled by undulations in the road surface at moderate lean angles..

any tips/pointers??

Thanks,

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks the ring in.. I'll get a table tie on the fork leg and see.. Perhaps I'm not perching on the bike correctly while setting the sag at the front and that's the issue..

Crashb I'm from Ballygowan not too far from Belfast or newtownards.. Why's that? Are you local?

Tombstones I am happy with my set up at the rear in terms of damper and bracket set up.. It's just getting the correct sag at the front that I'm scratching my head about..

#6 ·
Oem TLS forks should be quite soft sprung, if your sure it only drops 10mm from fully extended springs are probably not stock. Is there a big difference in sag after pushing the forks and letting it go from fully extended?

Getting the front and rear to move as similar as possible might help with mid corner bumps. Have you tried different tire pressures?

#7 ·
I will check when this rain disappears and can get her out of the shed.. i had a mate who is of a similar weight throw himself onto the bike yesterday and to be honest the sag didn't seem too unreasonable judging by eye, perhaps it is as you are suggesting and just stiction/damping adjustment giving a false reading so to speak..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.