Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mzivtins
  • 1 Post By Toledo

Thread: Finally completed the R1 Damper mod on my TLS!

Cool Finally completed the R1 Damper mod on my TLS!

After collecting the parts and not wanting to put the bike down for any length of time ('cause I was having so much fun riding it), I finally took the plunge...
    I had some R6 style brackets made (I have 5 extra, may put them up on EBAY), unfortunately I had an R1 damper. Not wanting to waste any more time, I decided to make due with what I had. I shimmed the bracket out a little wider so the bracket would not interfere with Rebound adjuster. I used M10 treaded rod (because the sub frame is threaded) for the top, and the R1 bolt for the bottom.
    Wow, what a difference!!!
    I had not heard much in the way of riding impressions with this mod, but the difference was night and day! I can actually feel the rear suspension working now. I didnt realize how stiff the Rotary damper was! I no longer rear bumps. Mid corner corrections are more stable. and as a side bonus, my SOAS stopped squeaking!!
    I am still tweaking the settings but it seems to have plenty of adjustability.

Thank you to all who posted the How-To's and photos of this Mod. I ciouldnt have done it without you!

I will try to grt some pix up later.
    "True wisdome only comes from pain"

Well... This is definitely
    December 2009 TL of the Month

Nice,i remember the 1st time i sat on my S after replacing the rotary,the suspension actually moved,my rotary was as hard as a brick.
    TLOTM March 07

Riverside, Communist Republic of California
    In a bajillion pieces............

Awaiting Resurrection

Resurrection started....23 June 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE FORD View Post
    Nice,i remember the 1st time i sat on my S after replacing the rotary,the suspension actually moved,my rotary was as hard as a brick.
    Thats the one characteristic of rotary dampers that even the F1 engineers couldn't get round in 2008... stiction baby haha!

Well i say F1 engineers, it was actually Sachs for Ferrari, they made units that looked almost identical to our bikes and worked brilliantly, the key was a completely new metal housing with slightly different cavities at every racetrack... the packaging was so compact and small it was really a work of art.

For all its weaknesses, i still love the idea and design of the rotary damper

Quote Originally Posted by mzivtins View Post

...... i still love the idea and design of the rotary damper

As a lightweight boat anchor...........they make a good door-stop.
    SWAMPTROLL likes this.
    Mark.

TLOTM JULY '11

People I will not deal with: tl1000s/tl1000r Will/2012-krystal or whatever he decides he might/might not call himself.

There's many plus points to this mod
    Tyre life increases,
    You can hit a bump whilst accelerating and the rear tyre grips and it soaks up the bump, whereas it would skip before
    You've got much more grip and conference in the wet
    The only negative is once you get used to it, you find yourself riding quicker,which then leads to fork upgrades,lol
    Who's fkin happy??.?? not me said snow white.WP rear damper gsxr k4/5 forks with gold calipers ,blackshadow discs,soon to be a hid/projector headlight,Harris adjustable rearsets,,pc2 k&n, zero limits seat hump,folding levers,mattyj clear clutch cover,rifleman 1/5th insert,more to come ..........

Quote Originally Posted by Toledo View Post
    As a lightweight boat anchor...........they make a good door-stop.
    it really is amazing though! we know it doesn't work best in our bikes, probably down to the materials used as the vane and maybe the oil weight/quality but what an amazing design

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/1...otary-dampers/

Quote Originally Posted by mzivtins View Post
    it really is amazing though! we know it doesn't work best in our bikes, probably down to the materials used as the vane and maybe the oil weight/quality but what an amazing design

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/1...otary-dampers/

Paul Thede and Lee parks of Race Tech suspension recon they canmake it work better (overcoming stiction) with different caotings on the internal parts, See thread;
    You've all been wrong for years?=
    One of the main drawbacks in the article is the cost $15,000 per unit, think I could get one for less.
    Anything that is different will by its nature will have potential benefits. If the main thing stopping development are cost and the existing body of knowledge for the current design maybe we are in a place to take advantage of this design given that everyone throwing them away has reduced the price for us.
    I see a potential advantage. If had a TLS I would give Race Tech a go.