Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fast Idle adjustment problems HELP!!

Fast Idle adjustment problems HELP!!

Ok guys, remember when I got my carb sync tool. Yeah well I have it. But I haven't even gotten to use it yet. Here is the problem. I cant get the fast idle speed to set to 2000RPM. I am not sure what is supposed to touch what and what to use to adjust it. Can someone please post some clear pics of what is what. The Manuel does not have good pictures. The bike does go to 2000RPM but only after it has reached 180F Is this normal. If it is lower than 180F it will only go as high as 1500RPM. Also I think I adjusted the wrong screw when trying to fimx This. I also lossend the cable on the font of the TB Becuase I thought that Is what I was supposed to adjust. Igot it back on but it is not like I was. Also in the video the guys says that he is going to connect the vacuum house from the carb sync tool to the back of the throttle bodies and to remove the throttle body nipple Mine does not have a nipple on the back of the throttle bodies. I have a tls1000. Can anyone help me please thanks guys.
    Last edited by Jamcou2020; 09-30-2008 at 04:49 PM.

The carb sync hoses connect to the tips that are located on the left side of the throttle bodies, on the inside. They kind of point in towards each other and should be covered with a rubber caps, similar to the ones that cover the brake bleed nipples. Its pretty clearly shown on the vide when he holds up the throttle body.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikebikerboy View Post
    The carb sync hoses connect to the tips that are located on the left side of the throttle bodies, on the inside. They kind of point in towards each other and should be covered with a rubber caps, similar to the ones that cover the brake bleed nipples. Its pretty clearly shown on the vide when he holds up the throttle body.
    yeah that is what I am saying I have no nipple only hoses. Do you have any clue about my fast idel problem?

I am not the most mechanically minded person, but managed to do the whole TPS and TBS by watching the video. The video does clearly show what screw you need to turn to adjust your fast idle, watch it carefully and in its entirety. I believe its the smaller one of the 2.

What you are looking for is two plugs that should be covered with a rubber nipple, to connect the vacumn hoses from the synching gauge to. They are both located on the left side of the throttle body and on the inside of the throttle bodies pointing slightly towards each other. I can't really give any better description of where they are located.

Any other members have pics or better explanation of ho to locate them?

the fast idle is the flat blade screw, the sync screw is the phillips.

Standing at the left of the bike with the tank up, the rear throttle body should have a cover over one nipple. The front you disconnect a hose.

Your fast idle sounds about right. I think the manual says at temp is should be at 2000 rpm. I might be wrong on that. I set mine so it's at 2000 when cold. When warmed up it'll jump to about 4000. (good for cruise control)

watch the video. Then watch it again. and watch it one more time. If you have a laptop or a place you can look back to the video while you're doing it then even better.

Take your time. After doing it twice, you'll have the hang of it.

C
    A monkey a day keeps the bananas away!

Quote Originally Posted by CMonkee View Post
    the fast idle is the flat blade screw, the sync screw is the phillips.

Standing at the left of the bike with the tank up, the rear throttle body should have a cover over one nipple. The front you disconnect a hose.

Your fast idle sounds about right. I think the manual says at temp is should be at 2000 rpm. I might be wrong on that. I set mine so it's at 2000 when cold. When warmed up it'll jump to about 4000. (good for cruise control)

watch the video. Then watch it again. and watch it one more time. If you have a laptop or a place you can look back to the video while you're doing it then even better.

Take your time. After doing it twice, you'll have the hang of it.

C
    Ok so I was turning the sync screw isstead of the fast idale. shit. So let me get this str8 when It is cold and the chcok is on it will not jump to 2000RPM it is normal for it to take time to get there?

Yeah. Doesn't take too long though. You've got a small radiator and TL's run hot. When syncing, if you don't have a fan you're gonna have to do it fairly fast and probably have to shut her down every now and then to keep it in the right range.

Sounds like your fast idle is where it should be. 1500 cold and 2000 warm is about right.

That's from the manual, but others have set them for different speeds. A poor man's cruise control. Some use it in the twisties as it keeps the throttle in a pretty good range. I leave early in the morning and it's cold so I like it up a little higher, just my preference, seems to work for me.

C
    A monkey a day keeps the bananas away!

Awsome thanks guys I wll keep you updated.

Ok SO I found where the nipples are supposed tp be I have hoses coneected to them not jsut vacuum nipples should I take these houses off? On the rear TB there is one nipple the other port has a Hose on it On the fron one there at two hoses on them What should I do? PLEASE help

Upside Down Super Mod
    Download the tuning video and watch that too. The video and manual show and explain it well.
    My $0.02c, always just my $0.02c Steve

"I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Antipodean
    Questions about the Forums? Click Here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast