Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GSXR Cluster conversion

GSXR Cluster conversion

I know this has been beaten to death, but has ANYONE finalized this project to get the GSXR cluster working 100%?

I know some people were going to try some resistors to get the F codes and gas light to work. Any updates?

Who had the greatest success with this?

What year and model ended up being the best match? What was the best way to mount these to our fairing stay? There are so many contradicting stories, I figured I may as well muddy the waters some.
    Want to see what i have done? Look in my garage....

""PM4L. Don't worry, I'm taking it back"

Upside Down Super Mod
    Need more than a few resistors to get the Dash to communicate with the ECU. Still no temperature, TPS setting or fault codes as far as I know.
    My $0.02c, always just my $0.02c Steve

"I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Antipodean
    Questions about the Forums? Click Here

This thread is probably the best reference on this subject

I just picked up my harness (well bought off Ebay anyway, waiting on delivery) so will be developing that theory of using the alternate ECM now my major stuff is out of the way.
    Stage 1 is to get the temp working even if alternating FI message.
    Stage 2 would be to eliminate the FI by simulating all the other transducers with resistor divider networks.

TPS adjustment may be possible however ...... remains to be seen

Can't see that it is practical to get a 'real' FI indication.

I'll post up results on that other thread.

Upside Down Super Mod
    You'll hook up a dummy ECU with resistors substituting sensors and have the dummy ECU feed the dash?

Could be interesting.

You'll fit another temperature sensor and feed that into the dummy ECU for a temperature on the dash I guess?

"I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve TLS View Post
    You'll hook up a dummy ECU with resistors substituting sensors and have the dummy ECU feed the dash?
    Exactly - initially won't worry too much about the other sensors and prove concept with the FI alternating, but should be able to eliminate the FI error by 'satisfying' all the other inputs.
    Should be as simple as divider resistors across the +/- rails to give the appropriate input voltage to satisfy expected requirement. The sensor voltages are already specified in the error table.

I think for the dynamic senors (cam, crank position, injectors, coils etc) I think as long as the dummy ECM 'thinks' engine is not running (ignition only), should be OK.

Incidentally I got the ECm for $10 and now picked up a complete harness (including another ECM, R/R etc) for another $10
    Resistors are pennies so should be fairly cost effective overall.

..You'll fit another temperature sensor and feed that into the dummy ECU for a temperature on the dash I guess?
    I think I'll be able to parallel off the OEM temp sender - believe the input impedance of both ECM is high enough should not be a problem as the output voltage will likely be unaffected. Back-up plan would be just to fit auxiliary sender if required but not expecting to initially at least.

* Note above I've fixed the TPS input - I think this could also be parallel input & allow the TPS display to operate in dealer mode (use separate switch for the dummy ECM to be in dealer)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GSXR Cluster conversion-sensors.jpg  

Upside Down Super Mod
    Very good.

The sensors are supplied by a +5V? (Labelled as VCC from memory) and have their own return (E2) your voltage divider would go across that and they'd be resistances of equal value to put you in the 2.5V range.

The TOS - would be a 60ohm (or was that 60K ohm I can't remember) from E2 to the TOS input. The ECU must have it's own internal divider and sources at the TOS pin referenced to the E2. Same with the other 2 wire sensors i.e IAT the 2 wire jobs would be individual resistors.

That's the TL system. (I could nearly draw it out now )

-----------------

The GSXR ECU and wiring I'm not so familiar with.

With the GSXR ECU you'll have to scrounge the GIXXER boards for the cheats to defeat the exhaust valve and the secondary throttle butterflies too. Also the GSXR TOS is shown as a 3 wire job and not a 2 wire one like the TL.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve TLS View Post
    The sensors are supplied by a +5V? (Labelled as VCC from memory) and have their own return (E2) your voltage divider would go across that and they'd be resistances of equal value to put you in the 2.5V range..
    I was actually thinking about that in my bed last night! - That I should use the regulated 5V. In the 'real' case it is important for the reference voltage to be regulated so there is no variability on the sensor signal because of the voltage (that's why they use it in the first place!); in this instance it doesn't really matter because we only need the input to fall within a range since it's just a 'fake'. But it's there, so why not use it.
    & yes, of course I referenced the TLS table above when clearly I should have used the GSXR one & more imprtantly the schematic - haven't really studied that yet.
    I got a 2K1 600 harness & ECM incidentally. The gauges themselves are 1000 but think they should play together.

Appreciate those inputs Steve - as you can see I was going only on theory from the error table without yet marrying to the schematic. Recognize the requirement for the 2 wire signals vs 3 & in the final design & will be sure to capture those appropriately. Thanks for the prompt though.

Just received the package below - not a bad deal for $10 plus shipping $21.95 total!!
    That was complete with ECM, Rectifier/Regulator, speed Sender, an aftermarket electronic flasher unit, headlight/instrument sub-harness and a few other sensors!
    If I had another cluster I could actually test this off the bike initially as a complete stand-alone unit.
    When I'm done however most of the bulk will be gone and minimal OEM harness utilized - essentially just the ECM connectors.

thatīs a deal

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Shrimp cheese lover

Hey Iīm from SWEDEN so what did U expect

Tick Tack Tick Tack ....................

This little gadget alone is $75!

- operates the OEM 'stop' and 'tail' (park) lights as integrated turn signals

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast