Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMA Tech Director Suspended for Chastising Backmarker for “F’ing up the Show” at Mid-

AMA Tech Director Suspended for Chastising Backmarker for “F’ing up the Show” at Mid-

This article comes from AsphaltandRubber.com

We don’t even know where to begin with this…The AMA Pro Racing has announced that it has indefinitely suspended Al Ludington for his interactions to Johnny Rock Page during Race 1 of AMA’s stop at Mid-Ohio. Page was accused by Ludington for not abidding to a blue flag (over-taking rider approaching), as Aaron Yates looked to get around the slower Page. Pretty standard stuff in racing, especially in the AMA where there can be a wide gap in lap times of teams and riders.

The issue here though is the handling of the matter, as Ludington goes off his rocker, threatening and cursing Page, all while misquoting the rule book. During his rant, what becomes clear is Ludington’s lowly perception of privateer riders. He also sheds light on how the AMA perceives roadracing in America. It’s a sad state we live in folks.

Without seeing the incident, we can’t say for certain that Page was in the clear. We’ll let others who follow the AMA series comment on that, but clearly Page seemed to think he was within the rights of the rule book.

What bothers us the most about this video though, is clearly Ludington’s perception of what AMA Sportbike racing is all about, and what the value of ALL the riders on the grid are in his eyes. Quotes like “You raced the leaders, and fucked up the show” and “What were you? 28th?…you’re not ‘it’ [the show]” make us cringe. Page is right, every rider counts on the grid, and what place he was running in the series shouldn’t matter on how the rules are applied to him. All an over-taking rider can ask of a lapped rider, is to stick to the rules, and hold their line as they get around them in a corner.

For the record the rules are as follows (Al, you might want to read these), Section 7 (Race Rules And Procedures 7.14 Flags/Lights)*of the AMA racing rules states that:

“Blue Flag: Indicates to a rider that they are about to be overtaken. Riders are advised to keep their line and allow the faster rider to pass. Riders disregarding this flag may be blackflagged at the discretion of AMA Pro Racing.”
    This incident is sadly an inside look of what the AMA racing series has become (and why we don’t cover it…well, sorta). It’s sad when a Technical Director treats the riders in a purely dollars and cents fashion. We can barely handle it when we see it from the marketing/advertising folks, but you want to think that someone in the Race Director’s office still loves the sport of roadracing for what it used to be. You stay classy AMA.

Al Ludington’s Written Apology on the Matter:

To the AMA Pro Racing Community:

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies to the fans of our sport, all AMA
    members, competitors, AMA Pro Racing officials and Johnny Rock Page for my
    behavior in the Tech Garage at the recent AMA Pro Road Racing event at Mid-
    Ohio.

My actions were out of line and detrimental to the well being and the growth of
    the sport that we all love. Mr. Page is a professional racer and should have been
    reprimanded for his actions in a professional manner. He was not, and the blame
    is entirely and solely my own.

I am regretful for offending anyone’s sensibilities, and I vow never to conduct
    myself in this manner in the future. We expect cordial dialogue and behavior from
    our competitors and, in turn, they should expect the same from us. I failed to live
    up to this code of conduct.

Once again, I am offering my sincerest apologies to everybody that was affected
    by my poor decision to conduct myself in a non-professional manner.

Sincerely,

Al Ludington
    AMA Pro Racing
    Technical Director

Source: Motorcycle-USA; Thumbnail: CornerSpeedPhoto

Visit Asphalt & Rubber for more articles like this one

Mad-Modder, KTM Junkie
    Well shit, all the riders are right the AMA is shit since DMG took over. Well, at least we have WSBK. I watched the video yesterday, whether JRP was wrong or not, he was treated like shit, Al was at his best a complete ass and at his worst a child in a fit. To go to a rider's pit and tell them they "ruined the best race of the year" is a little pscychotic in my book. What an arrogant ass Al is to chew his ass like he did. The officials clearly have discretion to enforce the rule as they see fit, but to chew the guys ass and belittle him, well I think Al added that on his own. That said, Al was the guy homolgating the Buell, makes that look a little sleazier now, huh?

Finally, Al knows JRP is filming a Reality Show, yet still does all this in front of the camera, which clearly was in his presence. Not rocket science. How many times has he done this without cameras around?

Fuck him, good riddance. Shithead.
    Be Good, Wear Gear, Do Wheelies,

Doug "OldTLSDoug" Basinger
    2010 KTM RC8R Akropovic Limited Edition 23 of 25
    2008 KTM Super Duke 990
    1982 Honda Z50R
    1978 Yamaha SR500E
    G-Town Squid Squad, Feb. 04 TLOTM

AMA reality show?

*2005 SXR 800*Skat 9/17 140-75 SS Impeller*Blowsion mat kit*Blowsion billet bilge switch*Rule 500GPH bilge*R&D bilge bracket*R&D billet angled reed spacers*V-Force Delta 2 Carbon reeds*R&D exhaust sleeve*Wamiltons scupper*Wamiltons stubby pump cone*fuel fill and pickup mod*-4" hull*-1.5" pole*R&D stealth intake grate*-4" ride plate*ODI grips*R&D Pro-lock filters*Jetworks mixture screws*Blowsion billet engine mount keepers*R&D 6º ignition adv kit*Billet driveshaft couplers*dual-cooling*

Still To Come:*Factory Wet Pipe*AC Racing pole*Footwells*new mats*Wiseco 80.96mm factory Kawi race pistons (true 800cc)*fresh bore and hone*

MySpace and Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Hey Bilbo, maybe you can get your BSTs chromed. There is that guy on Ebay that can chrome anything. Then you'll have the best of both worlds. After they're chromed, you can add accents to them with that vinyl carbon sticky tape! That would be so hot. You'd get all the chicks at the bar without even taking the bike off the trailer!

Frankly, I don't understand why they even have such a rule. Top riders have to battle past each other to get the lead don't they? It should be easy enough for them to get around the back markers without forcing them to "hold their line". It is a race isn't it?

"Got torque?"

An optimist believes we live in the best of times
    -a pessimist fears this is true

John

Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. OH. OH the irony. The iro---ny. -Jon Stewart

Mad-Modder, KTM Junkie

2008 KTM Super Duke 990
    1982 Honda Z50R
    1978 Yamaha SR500E

One Liter Duc Eater
    I just got back from Mid-Ohio, great racing weekend! The 3 hours with no track time on sunday needs fixing (come on nascar get with it!) but the races were great.

I have been going to Mid-O for the last 15 years or so and have talked with Al Ludington a few times. When he was a crew chief he ALWAYS had time for the fans and would talk freely with anyone about all kinds of stuff, seemed like a nice guy.

I will say he also seemed to be a hot-head if you disagreed with him.

If Johnny held his line thats what the rule states he did nothing wrong technically ...but running 28th he should have got out of the way (if possible ,I did not see what took place) and let the leaders hash it out.

Everyone has bad days but thats not a reason to treat a fellow racer with that attitude.

i watched that race...good race until the end...JRP (noted as having done this in prior races) should have gotten out of the way once he saw the leader and i am sure he heard Yates' exhaust very close behind so really no reason for him to race the leaders as he is being lapped...IMOH he did influence the end result in the race because Yates, a privateer rider although its Jordan) could have passed Hayes for the win but all the blame cant be put on JRP...In DMG's efforts to change rules and make racing better they should have done something about qualifying lap times...it should be a little harder to qualify...there are backmarkers in racing but AMA seems to have alot of backmarkers for the leaders to get around at the end of races...yes it is a race but the leaders should be able to battle up front, especially for the win, with a clear track so that the race can be determined without backmarker interference and ultimately a better show for the fans...but IMOH just another thing wrong with AMA...how many backmarkers do you see in WSBK? not many i think...BTW screw AL no need to blast the man...just not necessary he received an adequate suspension...

...Elbowz aka Alien#5...

2003 TLR Mods: Full Yosh RS3..K&N..Airbox Lid Removed with Joe V Mod..A&R TRE..Charging Mod..Plus Mod..PCII..EBC Pads..Driven Grips..Xenon HID Bulbs..Dunlop Qualifiers..530 Conversion 16/40..Custom Paint and Decals..

...its not how much horsepower you have but how much you are willing to use...

Mad-Modder, KTM Junkie
    I guess I need to clarify a bit, it says in the rules the AMA has the discretion to penalize JRP, I am cool with that, cause it looked on TV like he was blocking and such. That said, Al Ludington had no right to launch a tirade like that at the guy, they did after all put him on the grid. So with the suspension of Al, I think all is well. JRP was also suspended for a race for not letting the leaders by. Personally I think he took a double screwing but life ain't fair. I also think Yates ate a little Kharma feedback for the choices he has made in the past. I was surprised he didn't just smack JRP and go by.

2008 KTM Super Duke 990
    1982 Honda Z50R
    1978 Yamaha SR500E

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller13 View Post
    BTW screw AL no need to blast the man...just not necessary he received an adequate suspension...
    ...true JRP was a jerk for not letting the leaders pass but did not deserve to be treated in such a manner and Al Ludington was way out of line...

i agree with you Doug...

...Elbowz aka Alien#5...

2003 TLR Mods: Full Yosh RS3..K&N..Airbox Lid Removed with Joe V Mod..A&R TRE..Charging Mod..Plus Mod..PCII..EBC Pads..Driven Grips..Xenon HID Bulbs..Dunlop Qualifiers..530 Conversion 16/40..Custom Paint and Decals..

...its not how much horsepower you have but how much you are willing to use...

Well, I'm really no AMA expert but after what I saw at Laguna I understand there are some obvious organizational problems in this series... this story isn't too shocking compared to the pacecar incident at Laguna.

Concerning "backmarkers": If I'm not mistaken, the official qualyfing cutoff time is 107%. That is the standard for MotoGP and WSBK, too.

Greetings
    Rufer
    German TL1000cup champion 2007, 2008 & 2009. Now on GSX-R 1000 K5/K6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast