Thread: 1986 Ninja 1000r

One Liter Duc Eater

1986 Ninja 1000r

I was riding my dads 96 GPZ 1100 or as others know it the ZX11E and stopped to look at a bike for sale.

It was an 86 ninja 1000r with 12k on the clock. Not busted up, 2 tiny dents in the tank (minor), new tires, new fork seals, tinted wind screan, and he wants $1,500. I rode it and it wasnt bad, a tad heavy but ran really well. I looked it all over and it looks to be the same as the engine in my dads 96 1100 but with a smaller bore. I might have to buy it just as a spare bike to put around on and keep the miles off the TLS.

I love the 80s bikes. Imagine my suprise when I saw it was a 1000 and not a 600. On and this guy just got it 3 years ago with 9k miles on it. Its in better shape than most late 90s bikes I see.

Anyone ever have one of these?

JarkkoT
    friend had gpz900 with overbore to almost 1000cc, it was pretty fast for 80's bike.

sounds impossible to find 12k bike from 86

Mad-Modder, KTM Junkie
    Ninja 1000's are sweet. I had a 96 GPZ, I bought it a week before the TLS came out and regretted it immediately. I rode a few 1000's they are good bikes, but dated. They are heavy, they flex, turn slow and have less than perfect brakes, however they are fun to ride and you can definitely enjoy them. That motor continued on to the ZX11 and the GPz, the ZRX and the old Concours. It should be rock solid. A couple of issues, such as the counter balancer adjustment and an odd bolt loosening or two were the only issues I ever knew of. The aftermarket was good to them, might still be some ebay parts for them, but it is scarce these days. The 600's (I had an 86) had issues with the valve seats getting completely pounded into the head after 18000 miles or so. Be sure and ask about valve adjustments, ie when was the last one, what is the trend. Could be a PITA if it has clearance issues. Unlikely, but you should check.

Sweet toys, if you like it, it is worth the money.

Be Good, Wear Gear, Do Wheelies,

Doug "OldTLSDoug" Basinger
    2010 KTM RC8R Akropovic Limited Edition 23 of 25
    2008 KTM Super Duke 990
    1982 Honda Z50R
    1978 Yamaha SR500E
    G-Town Squid Squad, Feb. 04 TLOTM

doug

I never had one, but they look like they would make perfect sport-tourers and at that price you could beat it to death and still get your $$ back I think
    Josh

TL Zone Forum Staff - Resident RAIN RIDER

Questions about The Forums? Click Here

1997 TL1000S/V
    - TLR Akro Evo Ti Exhaust - PCII - 5.5" rear rim & 180/55 - Avon AV45/46ST tires - No Steering damper- Uni Filter -Relocated Temp sensor & 98+ t-stat housing/wp cover - TLRCrazy1 Fan Switch Mod - Dual Star heated Grips - HeliBars - 60k miles.

9k mile summer ride report [summer '08]

Ride report: Oshkosh, Rockies, UT, NV, CA, Bajal [summer '09]

Can yuo still get decent tires for it?
    Pete - Ann Arbor

Penske, 6 piston brakes, fighter, airbox, breather mod...

One Liter Duc Eater
    I looked and yes you can get decent tires for it. IT was heavy but felt quite planted and composed in the medium speed corners I was riding. It is comfy and pretty smooth.

It looks JUST like the pic Doug shows there, the only difference is this bike has some red pinstriping in different places. It has the stock jets and stock pipes on it, I don think its ever been abused.

If I sell my SAP rear bumper for my GTO and my Stainless Works Cat back I am going to buy it.

Sounds like a good buy
    Josh

TL Zone Forum Staff - Resident RAIN RIDER

Questions about The Forums? Click Here

1997 TL1000S/V
    - TLR Akro Evo Ti Exhaust - PCII - 5.5" rear rim & 180/55 - Avon AV45/46ST tires - No Steering damper- Uni Filter -Relocated Temp sensor & 98+ t-stat housing/wp cover - TLRCrazy1 Fan Switch Mod - Dual Star heated Grips - HeliBars - 60k miles.

9k mile summer ride report [summer '08]

Ride report: Oshkosh, Rockies, UT, NV, CA, Bajal [summer '09]

Everything Doug said is true, but if you just want a dependable, comfortable and fun bike to ride around, ride two up, or do some touring they are great bikes. There's a very good reason I still have my GS1000 after nearly 30 years.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Jeff

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Stodgy ME
    Questions about the Forums? Click Here

Buy it! That bike is part of the reason I started riding motorcycles. In school I grew up thinking about 150 mph vettes & the like, and the only motorcycles I had ever seen were cruisers. Then I saw a magazine "Cycle Guide" at a news stand with a chrome Concours on the cover. (Cycle new always gave their bike of the year a full chrome bath). I didn't know such things existed and picked the mag up out of curiosity.

In reading the rest of the magazine, you can imagine how surprised I was to discover motorcycles are actually FAST, not just cruisers & scramblers. An article on that Ninja 1000R is what made the biggest impact. 160mph & in '86 it listed for around $6000. I was floored, I couldn't believe something could be faster than a Corvette & be so cheap.

If it wasn't for that bike 20+ years ago, I never would have even thought about motorcycles. You HAVE to buy it.
    I've got a huge penis, You've got a huge penis, even crash over there, yup you guessed it, huge penis. Good, now that that's out of the way, let's go ride

One Liter Duc Eater
    Sold my 243 heads............$415
    Sold my Cat back..............$550
    Sold my SAP bumper..........$600

I think that it shall be mine....oh yes it shall be mine!

The dude is away till next weekend on vacation (I called him today) so I wont have a positive answer one way or the other.

Like someone said its a good touring bike or for 2 up riding, plus it will save the miles from the GTO and TLS. With only 12k on it I am sure it has plenty of life left in it for many years to come.