Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tappet clearance help

JCM

tappet clearance help

i have check shim clearance on my bike but after having problems with the bike not wanting to idle and startup, it idles a bit better but still dies a few second later. Bike only starts if i poar fuel down the tb's. Bike revs up but backfires through tb and exhaust. Clearance i have set to .15mm in and .25mm ex, should i set it closer to the .2mm in and .3mm ex? Is the ecu farked can a pc help? Any advice please!!!!!!
    97 TLS with TRE, 1/5 rifleman insert, Airtech filter, 17/40 sprocks, gutted pipes, bitubo rear shock, Reverse Shift setup

Have you st the tps and balanced the throttle bodies, if so it could be blocked fuel filter, blocked injectors.
    right here goes.........
    Pvm calipers and discs, ebc HH sintered pads. braided hel brake lines. pazzo copy levers. ebc uprated clutch kit. double buble carbon screen. d3 copy grips. hrc clip ons. re-worked front forks. gilles rear sets. bitubo rear shock. powder coated wheels, swing arm, frame. ducati 1198 carbon fibre tail. ducati integrated smoked rear lamp. duc rear subframe. carbon fibre full fairing kit. Carbon fibre chain guard. Carbon racing air box and carbon ram air tubes.16 tooth front sprocket 42 rear. projector lights. sv1000 coils. plus mod. piper cross filter. matthehat tre. Carbon mirrors. Ohlins steering damper. Vans top triple. Carbon fibre tank. Modified headers with carbon scorpion tagma cans. Carbon clock surround

how did you check the clearances...... I once "helped" a friend of mine check his clearances but checked it with the lob 180 degrees from the cup. however because there was wear in the cam bearings, When you moved them round to where the manual tells you to check them the clearances were way off! Even though in theory it should not make any difference if there is no wear.
    The result sounds like what you described. His bike would start but as soon as it started to warm up (a couple of seconds) the bike stopped because the valves would not close. leave it for a minute then it would start again.
    may be what you are experiencing
    You've got to lean it over as far as you dare .... then go a little bit more!..... NO CHICKEN STRIPS ALLOWED!!!!!

How did you check exhaust cams?

When you have exhaust lobes pointing straight up, de-compressor at cam is actuating
    valve to open little. Then it seems to be somewhat ok but can really be anything.
    You have to disable those or turn it just enough so those dont lift valve and measure
    then

JCM
    Did the clearance as per manual with the lobes pointing in the directions as per the manual with the pistons at tdc on compression stroke. I am leaning more toward fueling problem and think it might be dirt in the injectors. i have taken out the old fuel filter replaced it with a inline filter and added some fuel line cleaner too.

When I put fuel directly into the TB's the bike starts and revs fine but as soon as the bulk of it has burnt away the stumbling starts. What tests can I do to make sure the injectors are getting signal and that the injector is working but maybe clogged up??
    97 TLS with TRE, 1/5 rifleman insert, Airtech filter, 17/40 sprocks, gutted pipes, bitubo rear shock, Reverse Shift setup

You can drive injectors directly with 12volts, i would do fuel flow test for start as per manual. That way you would know
    if your pump is on and that you have pressure and enough
    flow for injectors. If so, then injectors are probably clogged.

JCM
    What would the effect be of not having vacuum connected to the fuel regulator??

Just spoke to a friend who worked on a few TL and he said it sounded like fuel pressure issue, now I have the vacuum pipes connected but the pipe that goes to the airbox isn't connected and the F connecter has an open point, I am going to connect all the pipes tonight and make sure there is a vacuum system running before I try to restart the bike!!

JCM
    Ok I have done the following, switched bike on and bypassed the fielpump to keep it running then took 12v connection direct to injectors and both worked fine with a strong flow of fuel through them. So how do i test if the signal to them are fualty??

With oscilloscope if you have or can find old analog, sensitive, volt-meter, you should be able to find some pulses but
    as it runs you cant tell wheter those being ok or not, so oscilloscope it is. But i really cant believe pulses being that bad, usually
    it works fully or not at all.

Stupid question but you do have injector plugs connected right, right?
    Not rear to front and front to rear?

JCM
    had them on right, after strugeling with the bike I tried switching them and bike fired up so I thought I had them wrong but last night followed the wiring diagram and switch them around again as per the wiring diagram but still with no effect. What I did see is if the bike is switched on and the pump primed, if I try starting it there is a squirt from the injectors but nothing else after that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast