Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Statutory Declaration for speeding

Statutory Declaration for speeding

Hi all.... wondering if anyone knows the legalities of this? Google hasn't thrown anything up I can rely on...

I had a speeding penalty notice from early December, when my car was being driven by someone else (my father over from the UK).

I'm sure I need to supply the name and address of the person driving the vehicle at the time, but the "Statutory Declaration" looks like a piece of official bullshit to me - first it states "... person named below was responsible for the offence" - which would be me stating that he is guilty of an offence, rather than me stating he was driving the vehicle... he may well not have been speeding anyway.

They also want his driving licence number, (guess they could claim I should check he is licensed before lending him a vehicle, but to remember the number...?), and they also want it witnessed by a JP, legal practitioner, notary, etc, or "other authorised witness under the Oaths Act 1900".

I don't see why I should have to shell out a fee for the signature to be witnessed, and doubt it's actually a legal requirement. It's a bit awkward to get that done in time as I need to get the form back in a couple of days (been away in WA).

The only info I've found is from the NSW Fines Act 1996, regarding a "vehicle or vessel offence", which states the name and address must be supplied, but I'm not certain it applies in this case.

I'd be grateful if anyone's got any info about the legal requirements - or where I can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by mole View Post
    Hi all.... wondering if anyone knows the legalities of this? Google hasn't thrown anything up I can rely on...

I had a speeding penalty notice from early December, when my car was being driven by someone else (my father over from the UK).

I'm sure I need to supply the name and address of the person driving the vehicle at the time, but the "Statutory Declaration" looks like a piece of official bullshit to me - first it states "... person named below was responsible for the offence" - which would be me stating that he is guilty of an offence, rather than me stating he was driving the vehicle... he may well not have been speeding anyway.

They also want his driving licence number, (guess they could claim I should check he is licensed before lending him a vehicle, but to remember the number...?), and they also want it witnessed by a JP, legal practitioner, notary, etc, or "other authorised witness under the Oaths Act 1900".

I don't see why I should have to shell out a fee for the signature to be witnessed, and doubt it's actually a legal requirement. It's a bit awkward to get that done in time as I need to get the form back in a couple of days (been away in WA).

The only info I've found is from the NSW Fines Act 1996, regarding a "vehicle or vessel offence", which states the name and address must be supplied, but I'm not certain it applies in this case.

I'd be grateful if anyone's got any info about the legal requirements - or where I can find them.
    Hi Mole, I know nothing about your driving system over there but I would assuse its very similar to ours. This is my opinion and it may be wrong.

The first point is, I would think you would only be admitting he was reponsible for the event not that he was guilty of it.
    Secondly, can you not ask you dad for his licence number? It usually is made up from the the first 5 letters of your surmane and then your birthdate slightly jumbled. So it would still be possible to work it out if you needed to.

I had a quick look through the NSW government RTA site, is there no info on there for you gleen? It looked pretty helpful?

I ran a red light on a friends car once and I just filled out my details on the form and she sent it in . they posted me the same notice to my address with my details on. pretty straightforward really.

hope your dad didn't misbehave too often while he was here

will he pay the fine or ignore it as hes O/S

if hes paying just get it sent to your adress as if hes staying with you still .... if not his UK one

cheers stu

Naked TLS 97 , D port heads, TRE, Carrozzaria gold wheels, GSXR750 triples and forks, R1 calipers, Ti Force titanium exhaust system, welded clutch centre, ring-in CCC, polished pressure plate, 999 ducati radiator, custom handlebar fairing, polished ali screen, TLR clocks, Van reservoirs, TLR swingarm, TLR Ohlins rear shock, billet tank cap, Norton Commando handlebars on 65mm risers, extra heavy polished billet brass bar-ends, custom shaped seat pad, billet levers and pegs, stainless brake lines, modified airbox, PC11 ,undertail, hugger, clear taillight lens, hidden LED number plate lights, Personal number plate (97TLS),SV coils, ring-in pushrod seal saver.

Graham , for a stat dec, all you have to do is on it state that you were not driving the car, but the driver was and give them his name etc. then all it does have to be witnessed by a cop at a local station, doesnt cost anything.
    yu will just have to get the info from your old man, your not held liable for it in anyway.
    yes a stat dec is bullshit and waste of ppls time.
    Martin can sign it, or get him to defend you!!!!!!!

Stop staring at my Tits!!

I had a mechanic that took my bike out for a test ride after servicing it once .He got done by a speed camera (fixed) and I received the fine a while later (took a while to process) .I went and had a look at the pic ,and for all money it looked like me barring a thin blue line on the bottom of my helmet that wasn't there .
    I eventually traced back my steps from then then asked the bike shop if they had any records (date) of my bike from it's last service .They did and that was when I handed them the ticket .
    He ended up filling out all the paperwork with no dramas .Didn't need a stat dec .
    The bike that is .

1050 Speed Triple
    Wilbers rear shock ,Racetech Gold valves + Wilbers springs in the front end ,IXIL pipe ,Triumph bar end mirrors ,Triumph hugger ,Tidy tail ,FP Racing levers ,D'Ecosse Rec/Reg mod ,Crazymofo rad guard ,Oggy knobbs ,Triumph bug screen ,Ventura headlight protectors + more to come .

The bike that was .

TLS
    FP levers ,Leo Vince cans ,Bitubo ,Suspension Tech valves ,Eibach springs ,Ohlins steering damper ,Barnett clutch springs ,K&N air filter ,flapper valve and associated shite removed ,Irridium plugs ,PC11 ,Loweys TRE ,Charging mod ,Jarkkos plus mod , DavCruz fan switch mod ,Six pots ,Braided lines ,Riflemans ccc ,The Ring Ins modded pressure plate ,dropped one tooth on the front sprocket ,Van drivers sprocket cover + front and rear resovoirs ,TLR engine breather/separator .

In the USA (or at least California), if you're married, you do not have rat out the other individual.
    You do not talk about Fight Club....

2003 TL1000R Y/B - Full M4 system with D&D bolt-ons, HyperPro RSC, Ohlins rear, Revolution Rotors, Danos TRE, K&N, Airbox mod, 195 fan switch ('94 civic), PAIR removed, 41T SuperSprox, LED lights, , Zero Gravity Smoked, Goodridge lines, Pilot Road 2CT, Van's reservoirs, HK Levers, HK Rearsets, HK Chain Adjusters, Bestem Undertail, Bestem Hugger, Hotbodies U/T, Ducati fender eliminator, gap mod

Over here, you automatically pass it on the the wife

Saves you having the three points, and her insurance is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrigdriver View Post
    Over here, you automatically pass it on the the wife

Saves you having the three points, and her insurance is cheaper.
    Watch out for some cameras in South Yorkshire - they take a second, high resolution shot clearly showing the driver, and (a good friend of mine says) send you a copy when you say someone else was driving. They don't (or weren't in 2007) going for false declaration, just gave the option to reconsider your reply!

Went to the local police station - nobody there! Went to a fully manned one, no police but luckily the lady at the counter happened to be a JP, and she signed it OK. I've not put date of birth in, and altered the bit about it being an offence, so can send it back.

There is another penalty notice, but it's possible I might have been driving then, and as it's only one point I'll probably just take it - it's not worth the hassle.

Funny but I'm sure your dad took my TL for a spin while he was here, wearing my lid with an iridium visor, did he mention it? More seriously have you guys caught up with the new use of red light cameras as speed cameras as well? That's gonna catch a few out , i keep forgetting and am expecting nasty letters in the mail soon
    K6 1000 forks and radial brakes, carrozzerrias, m4 full system, pcIII, barnett springs, ohlins rear, galfer wavies front and rear, +2 rear sprocket, speed kings blue cf screen, braided brake and clutch lines, GCC cf hugger, Vans billet clutch pressure plate and clear clutch cover and other goodies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast